To ensure that your facility complies with the minimum standards for facilities it is recommended that you conduct a self-evaluation of your clinical facility prior to completion of the application form to register your facility with Council.
To enable you to do a self evaluation it is recommended that you complete the evaluation form for facilities.
Kindly refer to the rules relating to minimum standards for facilities when you do the self-evaluation.
In the event that your facility does not comply with the rules relating to the minimum standards for facilities you are required to apply for exemption from compliance with the rules in terms of Rule 40 of the rules for veterinarians.
The application for registration of your facility should be accompanied by an application for exemption from the rules that your facility does not comply with together with input obtained from private practitioners in your area indicating whether or not they support your application for exemption.
The following criteria are used when applications for exemption are considered :
- A clear need for the veterinary service and the community that the applicant intends to serve must be shown;
- Input from other private practitioners servicing the area must be obtained and considered;
- Exemption will be limited to a period of time, alternatively to areas where no other veterinary services exist until such time that another practitioner delivers veterinary services in the that area;
- The welfare of the patient and the quality of veterinary services should not be compromised; and
- Exemptions will be limited to equipment /structural requirements that cannot be complied with.
Application for Accreditation: Sterilisation Campaigns and /or Community Engagement