Frequently Asked Questions

This page was updated on 23 November 2006


Independent Vetshops are NOT regulated by Council.  Vetshops are trademarked under auspices of the South African Veterinary Association.

Vetshops that are part of Veterinary Clinical Facilities fall under the same rules that govern the Veterinary Profession

"Guidelines for Independent Vetshops"  Newsletter 23, December 1998 

The South African Veterinary Association (SAVA) and Council agreed to the SAVA guidelines for independent veterinary shops.

Guidelines for advertising services and products available from these shops will be communicated to the profession in due course.

The owner of the shop must be a veterinarian;

The staff employed within the shop must be adequately and appropriately trained and qualified to offer a service to the public becoming of a veterinary establishment;

Veterinary and Para-Veterinary supervision of such shops is essential.

Please note that it is illegal to sell any drugs registered in terms of Act 101/65 through such an outlet i.e. schedule 1 through schedule 7 because then the shop is trading as a pharmacy (this includes vaccines);

All "ethical" products labeled "for use by or under the control of a veterinarian" in terms of Act 36/47 should not be sold on the premises unless a veterinarian is present at all times; and

All other "over the counter" products registered under Act 36/37 can be sold freely and without restrictions.


Members of the profession kindly note that:-
It is accepted (as of 17 November 2003) that the SAVA has now included these so-called "Integrated Vetshops" in its definition of independent Vetshops and that the rules of Council do not place any limitation on sharing a waiting room with a Vetshop provided that this separate business is wholly owned by a registered veterinarian or para-veterinarian;
Advertisements of these integrated Vetshops should comply with the requirements of Rule 15, which currently allow the advertisement of prices of products, merchandise and foodstuffs sold but which prohibits incentives as the subject of advertisements;
If the rules on advertising need to be amended then the profession should make proposals for such amendments; and
Vetshops that are integrated with registered veterinary facilities will also be subjected to inspection.

Routine Surgery

"Routine surgery is not complicated abdominal, orthopedic or cardio-vascular surgery"

Animal Transport Vehicle

A private practitioner requires clarity on the wording that may be displayed on a vehicle used for collection of companion animals and delivery.

The practitioner was informed that:

-only the words " Animal Transport Vehicle", the approved name and logo of the registered facility and the telephone number may appear on the vehicle. The word "Animal" may not be replaced with the word "Pet" in the wording" Animal Transport Vehicle" ;

-an advertisement may appear on the vehicle as all mediums may be used for advertisements provided that the advertisement complies with Rules 15 (1) and 15 (3).  (Wording such as pet grooming, delivery of pet food, collection and delivery of pets may appear in the advertisement) 

The practitioner was advised to contact the administration if he required further information.

Abandoned Animals

An animal is left at the practice and requires an operation, however the owner after 3 days and numerous attempts cannot be contacted to obtain permission to proceed with the operation.  ( The cellular number is not the number of the owner, the landline number does not work etc.)

1.Assess the animal's condition upon re-examination, stabilise the animal's condition;

2.Send a registered letter to the owner to the address supplied by the owner and inform the owner that the animal will be referred to the local Animal Welfare Organisation; and

3.Refer the animal to the local Animal Welfare Organisation with the instruction that the animal's condition must be assessed and that if euthanasia is indicated a period of grace should be applied as the owner was informed by registered post that the animal was referred to the local Animal Welfare Organisation.  This will give the owner an opportunity to contact the Animal Welfare Organisation.

Note: Keep record of your communication with the owner, including correspondence returned by the post office marked "unclaimed".

Also refer to Council's policy under "Policies" on home page relating to retention of animals.

An extract is quoted for convenience
1." Abandonment

An animal can only be regarded abandoned if the owner/client is not contactable or if a written notice to collect the animal is ignored.

1.The notice should state that unless the animal is collected within a specified period of time the animal will be handed over to a recognised animal welfare organisation.

2.The notice should be issued in such a way that it is reasonably certain that the owner will receive it e.g., by fax, registered mail or telegram.

Record should be kept of where the animal is relocated.

(Published -August 2000)"

Add Members content

2014 Amendment to Schedules-GN R352-GG37622

2014 Extract Section 22A(8) and(9)-Act 101-1965


Phenylbutazone has been rescheduled as a Schedule 7 substance (previously a Schedule 6 medicine) and consequently declared a prohibited substance, effective as from 8 May 2014, the date of publication of the Amendment to the Schedules (including Schedule 7) published in terms of section 22A of Act 101 of 1965 in Government Gazette Number 37622 under Notice Number R352. The amendments, including the rescheduling, came into operation on the date of publication of the Government Gazette.

The amendment notice (attached) must be read in conjunction with Section 22A(8) & (9) of Act 101 of 1965. An extract of the relevant subclauses of Section 22 is attached and the relevant parts highlighted. The meaning of both documents read in conjunction, in short means that NO PERSON may acquire, use, possess, manufacture or supply any Schedule 7 substance (substances listed in Schedule 7), unless issued with a permit (valid for a period for 12 months, subject to certain prescribed conditions and on prescribed grounds), for such acquisition, use, possession, manufacture or supply to the permitholder (specifically a medical practitioner, analyst, researcher or veterinarian), only if such permit application is approved by the Director-General: Health.

The following inserts relate to practical arrangements to deal with phenylbutazone stock. Please read it carefully!

Virbac informed as follows on 9 May 2014:

Importance: High

Dear Customer,

Please be informed  that all phenylbutazone containing products were re-scheduled from S6 to S7 , published in the Government Gazette on Thursday 8th May.
Unfortunately , Virbac received no prior notification from the MCC , which is regrettable.
As you are aware, S7 products may only be in your possession if a permit has been issued by the Director- General (refer Act101/1965 - section 22A points 8 & 9)
This product will  no longer be available with immediate effect.
We will accept returns for credit until 30th May, 2014, provided the product is unopened and credit requests are accompanied by the original invoice number.
Address any queries to our orders dept:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused”.

The Medicines Control Authority informed as follows on 9 May 2014 as to how to deal with phenylbutazone stock on hand:

“They need to make a request to Jerry Molokwane (DD of Names & Scheduling Unit) and Joey Gouws and request for an extension to get rid of their stock. They normally need to submit how much stock they have and approximately how much time they need to clear it.” (sic)


Questions and answers received (Practical aspects):

1.Q: I have a box of Equipalazone is worth at least R2175.00. May that still be dispensed?

A: No, you may not.  If you would like to dispense until your stock is used up, make a request (apply for a permit) to Jerry Molokwane (DD of Names & Scheduling Unit) and Joey Gouws (Head of Law Enforcement and Inspectorate) and request for an extension to get rid of stock. You'll need to submit how much stock you have and approximately how much time you need to clear it.

2.Q: Then who carries the loss for stock currently in my possession? Does the practitioner/ wholesaler now repossess the stock?

A: Losses are yours to carry. The MCC is not responsible as they will grant permission to sell if you approach them for a permit. If the permit is not granted, the stock must be destroyed.

3.Q: If the practitioner is now prohibited from selling, what does he do with the unused medicine? – is there a destruction system in place and  at whose cost?

A: The unused medicine need to be destroyed in the same manner as any S6 expired medication. It is recommended that you return it to the supplier for incineration. If the destruction takes place  at the practice the SAP need to be present.

4.Q: If I just ordered from the wholesaler, do I have to pay – whose loss will it be?

A: If you've not received stock as yet, they can’t sell it to you, so they have to refund you should you have paid in advance.

5.Q: If I do get a permit, do I need one to have the medicine in the clinic, and then dispense carefully?

A: Once the permit is granted, you can use the medicine subject to the same conditions as a S6 product.

6.Q:  Do I need to apply for a permit for every animal I see, in which case how do I get it before I leave the farm?

A: No. Apply for a permit to Jerry Molokwane (DD of Names & Scheduling Unit) and Joey Gouws (Head of Law Enforcement and Inspectorate) and request for an extension to get rid of stock. You'll need to submit how much stock you have and approximately how much time you need to clear it.  A reasonable period will probably be a period of three to six months. The conditions of the permit will be apparent from the permit.

As this will be continuously updated as and when new information regarding the above becomes available, please regularly visit our website for the latest. update!


Should a veterinarian be involved in the transportation of any animals, whether at departure, arrival or transit, it is advisable for the veterinarian to discuss the route and mode of transport used, feasible for the species of animal being transported, with the owners and transport company to ensure any possible hazards are avoided and such regrettable and negligent incidents that occurred with the giraffe are prevented in future.

Links to African Council websites

Veterinary Statutory Bodies in Africa

Veterinary Council of Namibia

Veterinary Council of Zimbabwe (department of livestock and veterinary services)

Kenya Veterinary Board

Veterinary Council of Tanzania

Botswana Veterinary Association

You are here: Home SAVC Members