01 August 2016- 31 July 2019
Sr T Lötter (Chairperson)
Dr A Erasmus
Dr CP Marwick
A SAVA nomination- Small Animal Practitioner, to be co-opted
A SAVA nomination -Large Animal Practitioner, to be co-opted
Inspections Committee Terms of Reference (TOR)
- The Inspections Committee will meet regularly to address the workload when, and as required;
- The Chairperson and two co-opted members may meet to decide on matters pertaining to facilities;
- The Committee will:
- Review the minimum standards for facilities and Veterinary Shops (“Vetshop” is a registered Trademark registered in the name of the SAVA and cannot be used without permission of the SAVA), before submitting their recommendations to Council for approval. Each Committee member will be allocated a specific section of the said standards to review, where after all inputs will be integrated before submission;
- Assess and evaluate applications received from registered members to act as inspectors for routine inspections. It will further identify members for ad hoc inspections (All new Inspectors will have to attend a training session conducted by experienced Inspectors, as well as identify registered professionals who can assist in the training of the new Inspectors). It was further proposed that all Committee members attend such a training session in order for the Committee to have the same experience and to communicated thus from the same point of reference;
- Evaluate standards of practice by assessing the self-evaluation reports submitted by the principals of facilities which are not compliant with the normal requirements (clinical practice, diagnostic and research laboratories, abattoirs) and reports submitted by the inspectors. Where there are deficiencies, the Committee will communicate those shortcomings to the principals of such facilities and make recommendations on how the situation should be addressed;
- Evaluate applications for exemption from compliance with the minimum standards for facilities and veterinary shops;
- The Committee will negotiate and deliberate on the standards for facilities to be used for Compulsory Community Service;
- Decide on the appropriate naming of facilities which do not comply with the naming guidelines as prescribed, with the sole purpose to avoid conflict in the profession; and
Make recommendations to Council on the minimum standards for veterinary facilities, the accreditation of facilities, applications for exemptions, and the appointment of inspectors to ensure that high standards of facilities in the profession are maintained.
Application Form to
- 1.A veterinary shop [retail] is defined as a facility at or from which a person who practices a veterinary profession sells veterinary pharmaceutical products, including products for which the manufacturer has limited the sale to veterinary professionals, to the public.
- 2.To ensure that your veterinary shop [retail] complies with the minimum standards for such shops, you are required to do a self-evaluation of your premises by completing the evaluation form for veterinary shops [retail]. Kindly refer to the rules relating to minimum standards for veterinary shops [retail] when you do the self-evaluation.
- 3.Submit the self-evaluation with the completed application form to register your veterinary shop [retail] with Council.
- 4.Veterinary shops [retail] will only be inspected by the Council should a complaint be received.
- 5.When an application for registration of veterinary shops is submitted and the trademark “Vetshop”, registered by the South African Veterinary Association [SAVA], is part of the name, proof that SAVA gave permission that the applicant may use the name must also be included.
- 6.In the event that your SAVA membership lapsed or is cancelled, you have to inform the SAVC and re-apply for a new name of the veterinary shop [retail] as the use of the word “Vetshop” is restricted to members of the SAVA who was granted permission in writing by the SAVA to use the word.
- I, (full name) ___________________________________________________________________________
- I am the owner of the abovementioned Veterinary Shop [retail] and only myself and/or other registered veterinarians have a financial interest in it.
- I confirm that all staff employed at the abovementioned Veterinary Shop [retail] have completed a minimum training course in accordance with the minimum requirements proposed by Council. A copy of the said minimum requirements is available from the SAVC.
- I undertake to ensure that all new staff members will be suitably trained in accordance with the minimum requirements proposed by Council.
- I undertake to refer any consultation or service of a veterinary clinical nature to a registered veterinary facility and to ensure that all staff employed in the abovementioned Veterinary Shop [retail] will do likewise.
APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION OF A VETERINARY SHOP [RETAIL]
SAVC Registration number: ______________________________ , and as the owner of the Veterinary shop [retail], in terms of the Rules relating to the Practising of Veterinary Professions made by the South African Veterinary Council, (refer Part I-X of the rules), hereby apply in terms of Regulation 2 of the Regulations relating to Veterinary Facilities, read with Rules 41 and 42 of the Rules relating to the Practising of Veterinary Professions for the REGISTRATION of a Veterinary shop [retail].
Physical Address of Veterinary Shop [retail]:
Postal Address of Veterinary Shop [retail]:
During office hours: ___________________________________ Fax: ____________________________________
Cell: __________________________________ E –mail: ______________________________________________
Proposed Name of the Veterinary Shop [retail], or name as already registered with SAVA
First Choice: _________________________________________
Second Choice: _________________________________________
- I understand that veterinary or para-veterinary supervision is essential to actively and visibly participate in the activities of the abovementioned Veterinary Shop [retail] and I undertake to ensure that such veterinary or para-veterinary supervision will be provided at all times.
- I undertake to ensure that only merchandise complying with Rule 44 (reflected on page 4 hereof as Annexure A) will be sold at the abovementioned Veterinary Shop [retail].
- I undertake that no live animals will be kept at or sold at the abovementioned Veterinary Shop [retail.
- The abovementioned Veterinary Shop [retail] for which I apply for registration is to be ready for inspection by a person appointed by Council, should this be deemed necessary by the ________________(date) and was/will be opened on the ______________________________(date).
- As far as I am aware the name is not being used by any other Veterinary Shop [retail] and is not of such a nature that it can be confused with other names, which are in use.
- The physical premises of the Veterinary Shop [retail] complies with the minimum standards laid down by the SAVC in the abovementioned rules;
- Should the physical premises, once registered, not comply, for a period exceeding 30 (thirty) days, I shall inform the SAVC thereof by registered post and within 30 (thirty) days of the occurrence.
- Should I deregister as a veterinarian or should the facility close or change ownership, I shall inform the SAVC thereof by registered post within 30 days of such an event.
- I accept that the SAVC, through an authorised person, has the right to inspect my/our facility at any reasonable time.
- I accept that the SAVC may at its discretion, but on condition that I am informed of the reasons, decide not to register this facility or withdraw the registration or suspend the registration thereof.
SIGNATURE OF DEPONENT DATE
THUS SIGNED AND SWORN TO BEFORE ME AT________________________THIS THE_________DAY OF ______________________ 20____, THE DEPONENT HAVING ACKNOWLEDGED THAT HE/SHE* KNOWS AND UNDERSTANDS THE CONTENTS OF THIS AFFIDAVIT, THAT HE/SHE* HAS NO OBJECTION TO TAKING THE PRESCRIBED OATH AND THAT HE/SHE* CONSIDERS THE PRESCRIBED OATH/SOLEMN AFFIRMATION* TO BE BINDING ON HIS/HER* CONSCIENCE, AS REQUIRED BY GOVERNMENT GAZETTE NOS. R1258 OF 21 JULY 1972 AND R1648 OF 19 AUGUST 1977.
COMMISSIONER OF OATHS ___________________________________________________________
FULL NAME AND SURNAME OF COMMISSIONER (IN BLOCK LETTERS): __________________________________________
BUSINESS ADDRESS OF COMMISSIONER: _____________________________________________________________
NB: Please note that the onus to ascertain that the name applied for is not in conflict with the name of an existing established Veterinary Shop [retail] rests with the applicant
. FOR OFFICE USE ONLY
2. Date of Approval of Name: _____________________________________________________________________
3. Date of Inspection of Veterinary Shop [retail] or Vetshop, if required: __________________________________
4. Name of Person who Inspected Veterinary Shop [retail] or Vetshop ____________________________________
Sale of merchandise
“44.(1) The following products may be sold at a veterinary shop [retail]:
(i) Medicines that are registered as schedule 0 medicines in terms of the Medicines and Related Substances Control Act, Act 101 of 1965;
(ii) Stock remedies registered without any conditions for sale or use in terms of the Fertilizers, Farm Feeds, Agricultural Remedies and Stock Remedies Act, Act 36 of 1947; and
(iii) Any other veterinary pharmaceutical products including products for which the manufacturer has limited the sale to veterinary professionals.
(2) Stock remedies registered with restricted requirements such as for “use by or under the control of a veterinarian only” in terms of the Fertilizers, Farm Feeds, Agricultural Remedies and Stock Remedies Act, Act 36 of 1947 may only be sold if a veterinarian has advised on the suitability of the stock remedy and is present in the veterinary shop [retail] at the time of the sale.
(3) No medicines registered as schedule 1 or any higher schedule in terms of the Medicines and Related Substances Control Act, Act 101 of 1965 may be sold from a veterinary shop [retail].
(4) No live animals are to be kept for sale or sold at a veterinary shop [retail]."